CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rear strut brace - options... (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6125)

funtime 29-01-2011 06:31 PM

Rear strut brace - options...

As above, I need a rear strut brace and can't really find many available, it doesn't even have to be M3 specific as they are all the same dimensions across the rear turrets...

Does anyone run one? if so, whats the quality of it like and where did you get it etc?

I was round Shimmy's earlier today and he had a nice Racing Dynamics one but it works out at nearly £200 now with the exchange rates and shipping, which is too much for what it is.

Also don't want to spend silly money and go for the Thorney one @ over £700!!! (although it is AWESOME :supz: )

Thanks, James

toofastforyou 29-01-2011 09:45 PM

ac shnitzer do one, but i think its still £2-300. i bought mine about 7 years ago so it might be more now. also try ca autotech, they might have a cheaper one or a copy of the more expensive ones.

shane@mbtech 29-01-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funtime (Post 79761)
As above, I need a rear strut brace and can't really find many available, it doesn't even have to be M3 specific as they are all the same dimensions across the rear turrets...

Does anyone run one? if so, whats the quality of it like and where did you get it etc?

I was round Shimmy's earlier today and he had a nice Racing Dynamics one but it works out at nearly £200 now with the exchange rates and shipping, which is too much for what it is.

Also don't want to spend silly money and go for the Thorney one @ over £700!!! (although it is AWESOME :supz: )

Thanks, James

The safety devices one is£300 something

try another safety devices dealer:thumbs:

funtime 29-01-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 79794)

Really!?! Please do tell :) PM me if you like :thumbs:

shane@mbtech 30-01-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funtime (Post 79798)
Really!?! Please do tell :) PM me if you like :thumbs:

I bought that exact one and I sold it brand new for 400

But if you get a nice dealer they will give a bit of discount taking it under 400

funtime 30-01-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 79825)
I bought that exact one and I sold it brand new for 400

But if you get a nice dealer they will give a bit of discount taking it under 400

Please can you tell me who the 'nice dealer' is :)

So the 300 something in your last post is closer to 400? just to get an Idea :)

PM me please :thumbs:

s.mac 30-01-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

what is this?

funtime 30-01-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.mac (Post 79835)
what is this?

This one Safety Devices rear strut brace/harness bar

Thorney must be laughing all the way to the bank when they sell one of these...

Oh and Lawsy - with a bit of digging I got there, massive thanks :thumbs:

Only thing is, it doesn't say anywhere, but I'm guessing you need to drill the boot floor to mount this? Which would effectively void any BMW claims for a new subframe if it did crack? :eeek:

shimmy 30-01-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funtime (Post 79839)

Only thing is, it doesn't say anywhere, but I'm guessing you need to drill the boot floor to mount this? Which would effectively void any BMW claims for a new subframe if it did crack? :eeek:

Thats why i didnt use one, even though it owuld be the best choice. Youd have to remove it cleanly for warranty work but you are risking not getting covered.

If you want one i can ask our Safety Devices supplier for our MX5 cages who we have spent a few £000 with recently

at the end of the day FT if you pay £250 for the RD one youd sell it for £200 anyday of the week so its gonna cost you £50 max in real money. If they go up in price in the next two years youll end up making money!

flow 30-01-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funtime (Post 79839)
This one Safety Devices rear strut brace/harness bar

Thorney must be laughing all the way to the bank when they sell one of these...

Oh and Lawsy - with a bit of digging I got there, massive thanks :thumbs:

I'm also interested in one , drop me a PM where you will be ordering one ;)