CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Propshaft warranty replacement? (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13394)

estoril 19-06-2015 01:50 PM

Propshaft warranty replacement?

I have just been in to have the airbag replaced from the recall notice and whilst I was there they pointed out that the grease from the rear prop shaft coupling was all being thrown out. The solution is a new prop shaft (I was told).

I am hoping that my named component warranty will cover this but wondered if the rubber doughnut on the other end comes as part of the propshaft assembly and if not is it worth replacing it anyway whilst the propshaft is off?

JBird 19-06-2015 05:50 PM

I had the same about a year ago. I had it done under warranty, but the cost was only about 350GBP. That was for just the coupling in front of the diff, not the whole propshaft (why would you need to replace the whole shaft???).

I did not get the doughnutty thing at the front done as they said it was fine, but wish I had as there is still a bit too much backlash / play when coasting at low speed.

cslsuperfan 19-06-2015 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 185334)
I had the same about a year ago. I had it done under warranty, but the cost was only about 350GBP. That was for just the coupling in front of the diff, not the whole propshaft (why would you need to replace the whole shaft???).

I did not get the doughnutty thing at the front done as they said it was fine, but wish I had as there is still a bit too much backlash / play when coasting at low speed.

replacing the front cushdrive coupling doughnutty jobber will not improve transmission slap noticeably. You'll probably find it's a little excess play in the final drive.

New doughnut, diff and all mountings have transformed my car. To think all that slamming during gearshifts was the norm......

That said I've no complaints.....60K on original diff. that's a good ratio compared to shimmy's 3 or 4 in 100K!!!

JBird 20-06-2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslsuperfan (Post 185348)
New doughnut, diff and all mountings have transformed my car. To think all that slamming during gearshifts was the norm......
!

So if the drive line noise is mainly the diff itself, how long before a new one starts doing the same thing?

I wonder if it happens to all M3 diffs, or was there a tolerance problem early on that causes excess wear - assuming it is wear that causes them to become to so rattly.

So far I have only replaced diff bolts and the rear coupling. I'd say the rear coupling made it about 25% better. I was really hoping the front coupling would take a large part of the remaining noise away.

shimmy 20-06-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 185410)
So if the drive line noise is mainly the diff itself, how long before a new one starts doing the same thing?

I wonder if it happens to all M3 diffs, or was there a tolerance problem early on that causes excess wear - assuming it is wear that causes them to become to so rattly.

So far I have only replaced diff bolts and the rear coupling. I'd say the rear coupling made it about 25% better. I was really hoping the front coupling would take a large part of the remaining noise away.

Front donut is with replacing if you are working near to is for sure. Mine was pooped and didn't really notice