CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Main Message Centre (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   CSL for manual conversion (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15156)

Jonmitch 28-01-2019 04:35 PM

CSL for manual conversion

Has anyone converted their CSL to a full manual? Plenty of SMGs have been converted, is there anything specifically difficult in doing this to a CSL?

Thinking it might be a nice project if I could find a good base car that has already been modified and has some miles on her. Anything out there?

Mike R 28-01-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonmitch (Post 204672)
Has anyone converted their CSL to a full manual? Plenty of SMGs have been converted, is there anything specifically difficult in doing this to a CSL?

Thinking it might be a nice project if I could find a good base car that has already been modified and has some miles on her. Anything out there?

No-one has done it that I am aware of, as most would be too concerned about devaluing the car.

There is no more difficulties doing it than to a standard M3.

If it is what you want, just do it :blalalala:

Chad 28-01-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike R (Post 204673)
No-one has done it that I am aware of, as most would be too concerned about devaluing the car.

There is no more difficulties doing it than to a standard M3.

If it is what you want, just do it :blalalala:

I’ve heard rumblings this could be happening , not sure if a chap very local me has actually bought another one,to do just this :smokin:

Alx 29-01-2019 07:11 PM

I really considered doing that.

I even contacted BMW Classic, but they didn't answer back...

I am still interested doing that actually.

Jonmitch 30-01-2019 12:01 PM

A chap on cutters has just started the process, sounds like it is on his second CSL so he can have one of each. Watch this space.

Chad 30-01-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonmitch (Post 204679)
A chap on cutters has just started the process, sounds like it is on his second CSL so he can have one of each. Watch this space.

Manual csl sounds ok ,, but I personally don’t believe it could be better than smg on the csl ,, but a stick shift manual csl sounds interesting ,kev I believe :thumbs:

Chappers 01-02-2019 11:07 AM

These threads always go the same way. Most believe the SMG is either better or good enough not to bother. I wonder if the option had been available at new, how the split would have been?

I don't know the numbers from the 911 GT3, but I think they sold considerably more PDK than manuals, I suppose 10 years ago the split might have shifted.

I've talked about doing mine for years, I asked about it before I even bought the car but I was always worried about a)devaluation b)shift quality - the e46 manual box isn't great c) if it would be able to be coded properly.

If this chap on cutters goes though with it, I'd be tempted this year.

Mike R 01-02-2019 11:15 AM

If you use the car predominantly on track, then I suspect you will prefer SMG and if you use the car predominantly on the road, then I suspect you will want the extra involvement of a stick and clutch pedal......:whistle:

I know I find mine a bit boring on the road (driving normally), but in full out psycho mode (aka locked up if caught), I'd not want anything but the SMG.

Kev has the right idea of having both, but given they appear to be being converted to standard specs (just transmission being different), I suspect they will just be tootled around :gayfight:....

monkeycsl 01-02-2019 03:46 PM

Had a manual m3 rubbish shift very stiff and notchy.
Maybe improved with short shifter who knows?
I replaced oil,bushes and a m5 shorter stick very little improvement.
I personally would not bother.

Alx 01-02-2019 03:52 PM

A (good) manual gearbox would be great.

I confess that I have been driving a lot more my 997.2 Carrera S (manual with limited slip differential), because it's a lot more fun and involving on the open road.

If the CSL existed in manual, I would have one...