CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Inspection II. What's involved. (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14813)

Calcifer 13-11-2017 04:15 PM

Inspection II. What's involved.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Just been in to BMW Bolton to enquire about an inspection II. I was under the impression that the diff and gear oil would be changed but they have said this is not included in an Inspection II. Was then handed a standard BMW print out and it seems there's not a lot involved at £938 or am I missing something?! :bigcry:

Thanks for any input. Perhaps they need re directing to the correct service manual?

Thanks.

Chad 13-11-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcifer (Post 202260)
Hi

Just been in to BMW Bolton to enquire about an inspection II. I was under the impression that the diff and gear oil would be changed but they have said this is not included in an Inspection II. Was then handed a standard BMW print out and it seems there's not a lot involved at £938 or am I missing something?! :bigcry:

Thanks for any input. Perhaps they need re directing to the correct service manual?

Thanks.

personally never waisted my money on bmw services, and they still took care of any warranty claims , do my own service :thumbs: bit late to start now anyway.:blalalala: bmw

Calcifer 13-11-2017 06:32 PM

Thanks for that but more so for the stamp in the book and BMW service history maintned. Allegedly some people care about that during resale. :hahaha:

glendog74 13-11-2017 06:41 PM

Insp II has the valve clearance checks which requires the car engine to be cold to do them.

Chad 13-11-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcifer (Post 202264)
Thanks for that but more so for the stamp in the book and BMW service history maintned. Allegedly some people care about that during resale. :hahaha:

Just buy some 1st class stamps from post office and stick them in service book. and then get mileage correction adjusted to 10,000 miles, a good detail, job done. one owner from new. Must be then worth a record breaking £110,000 ....:smokin:

Calcifer 13-11-2017 07:56 PM

Didn't someone just list a thread containing most of what you just wrote. <10000 Miles, full detail, 1 owner :thumbs:

Thanks glendog for that information.

Monkey 14-11-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcifer (Post 202260)
Hi

Thanks.

I would be concerned about taking my car there if I were you! Diff and gearbox oil are both changed on the Inspection 2.

The fuel filter is not on the service schedule, but the filter is included in the value line service kit, I would expect it to be fitted.

As Glendog says, the valve clearances are also checked and adjusted, they will need the car for 2 days. If you drop it off at 9am, and they call you just after lunch to say its done, they've not done the clearances.

I have a table to record the clearances and any adjustments made, a copy of which goes to the customer.

Outside of the service schedule, whenever I see a CSL for a service I also carry out a smooth running test to check the headgasket, a Vanos test, and remove and clean/replace the Vanos filter.

If you have any other questions, PM me:thumbs:

uncle benz 17-11-2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey (Post 202277)
I would be concerned about taking my car there if I were you! Diff and gearbox oil are both changed on the Inspection 2.

The fuel filter is not on the service schedule, but the filter is included in the value line service kit, I would expect it to be fitted.

As Glendog says, the valve clearances are also checked and adjusted, they will need the car for 2 days. If you drop it off at 9am, and they call you just after lunch to say its done, they've not done the clearances.

I have a table to record the clearances and any adjustments made, a copy of which goes to the customer.

Outside of the service schedule, whenever I see a CSL for a service I also carry out a smooth running test to check the headgasket, a Vanos test, and remove and clean/replace the Vanos filter.

If you have any other questions, PM me:thumbs:

Agree with all of this. The inspection 2 kit from BMW includes new fill and drain plugs iirc, which is nice.

I have taken to conducting a compression test while the spark plugs are out, as it's a quick indicator of early head gasket problems, as well as priming the oil system with no load on the big ends. I also take a close look at the vanos oil pump drive tabs while the cam cover is off.