CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Main Message Centre (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Moving to the USA, any way to bring the CSL? (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10328)

Barry C 03-05-2013 11:52 AM

Moving to the USA, any way to bring the CSL?

I know the yanks can't import them but as a non resident can I bring my car with me?

Any one have any idea. I heard one guy managed to import a CSL some how?

mattCSLnut 03-05-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry C (Post 143076)
I know the yanks can't import them but as a non resident can I bring my car with me?

Any one have any idea. I heard one guy managed to import a CSL some how?

IIRC You can for 12 months only, on temporary permit but they'll make you bring it back to your current home address as you're requires to sign a legally binding contract/agreement + they make you pay Shipping costs for a return journey, up front. This is mainly for people who come to work in the USA on a temporary contract and it varies from state to state.
If your move is permanent it'll be more difficult, if not impossible all together but again it varies from state to state. Some more relaxed states allow you to bring the car such as the CSL over so long as you don't use it on public roads (as they will not allow the On the road registration) so U can trailer it to TDs, Car shows or use it on PRIVATE roads only.
Being an M3 CSL which wasn't officially imported to the USA (therefore not officially federalised) will make things much more difficult, despite the actual existence of a few M3 CSLs :whistle: on US soil.
I recommend you get in touch with the local DMV (USAs equivalent of the DVLA) to where you're planning to relocate and explore your options.
Best of luck.

Barry C 03-05-2013 01:34 PM

thanks Matt. Sounds like a pain in the ass. :whistle:

chrisburns 03-05-2013 02:16 PM

So Barry well done on the move buddy. What is it you do anyway, if you dont mind my asking ???

Barry C 03-05-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisburns (Post 143093)
So Barry well done on the move buddy. What is it you do anyway, if you dont mind my asking ???

Cheers Chris, Been over there for the last three months, just back in Ireland now to finalise the visa. I work in sales for a Hedge Fund:beer:

Yanto 03-05-2013 02:47 PM

Take the CSL badge off :whistle:

"It's an E46 M3 officer......"

Barry C 03-05-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yanto (Post 143100)
Take the CSL badge off :whistle:

"It's an E46 M3 officer......"

I was thinking if you bought the reg plates off a scrapped m3, who would know the difference:hahaha:

Neil M 03-05-2013 03:26 PM

Barry - have a word with Maneesh aka 'cslsem3' as he's one of the chosen few to actually own a CSL in America, he should be able to give you some information on importing your motor. Best of Luck:thumbs:

race.it 03-05-2013 04:28 PM

thoguth there is an age of cars where they can be imported (prob 20 years) as I think some 959's were over there under that ruling

Yanto 03-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry C (Post 143103)
I was thinking if you bought the reg plates off a scrapped m3, who would know the difference:hahaha:

Swap the boot lid and front bumper for Reg items , then paint the roof and your done:beer: