CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Yellow Oil Light (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7729)

rstoughy 31-10-2011 11:49 AM

Yellow Oil Light

Had the yellow oil light pop up upon shut down of the engine yesterday.

Id just done a run of over 150 miles over some of scotlands best roads through the Grampian Mountains so plenty of elevation changes etc etc.

Has not happened since.

Just the up's and downs of the hills or low on oil???
Car historically doesnt use oil that much so was a little surprised as I had it changed only 1500miles ago.

Just a top up required??

SpineOnABap 31-10-2011 08:26 PM

Did you take an instantaneous reading?

Trawler 31-10-2011 09:34 PM

What was your last long term reading? Was there no indication the level was dropping? Was it filled up to max at the last oil change? I would put in 0.2l, drive it for a short distance to see if the problem (yellow light) reoccurs. I need to check the hand book, but I believe you can drive for a short distance before needing to top up so no damage should result. Instantaneous reading will then give you an idea if you are low or high

shane@mbtech 31-10-2011 09:56 PM

If in doubt, remove airbox and check dip stick. Takes 5 mins. Whilst your there clean out the intake trumpets. No 5 and 6 will be filthy. :thumbs:

NZ_M3 31-10-2011 10:11 PM

or the oil level sensor itself crapping out as they do on all crappy BMW sensors ....

rstoughy 31-10-2011 10:31 PM

Spot on :thumbs: :thumbs:

Think your right Shane, i'll pop the airbox tomorrow and check with the stick just to be sure :smokin:

cantfind1 01-11-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 102050)
If in doubt, remove airbox and check dip stick. Takes 5 mins. Whilst your there clean out the intake trumpets. No 5 and 6 will be filthy. :thumbs:

God knows why none of you have not fitted oil catch cans yet??
Get rid of that breather hose polluting your throttle bodies, ICV, air rail, trumpets and inside the airbox!

rstoughy 12-11-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 102050)

Filthy is an understatement Shane :bigcry: they were utterly cacked :bigcry:
All nice and clean now though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantfind1 (Post 102072)
Get rid of that breather hose polluting your throttle bodies, ICV, air rail, trumpets and inside the airbox!

Anyone done the above on the CSL?
Looking at the state of the inside of the airbox it would be something worth considering i think.

DuncanR 12-11-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantfind1 (Post 102072)

mmmm we are listening ...

Bounce 12-11-2011 04:57 PM

Did it need topping up Paul,or was it ok on the dip stick.