CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Head gasket and oil leak!! (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7276)

jibm 03-08-2011 11:36 AM

Head gasket and oil leak!!

Morning gents

I did a track day at Bedford on Monday and my water temp gauge was rising to near the red when at full throttle :bigcry: i backed off and made sure it didn't get too hot. After searching and reading on here it seems to point to the head gasket that could be the culprit. At the end of the day i also noticed and oil leak splashing down the NSF wheel arch and sill, although is not a massive leak and the oil level has not moved.

The car has warranty, however i am flapless and my concern is the warranty guys will notice this and reject it. The easy thing i hear you say is put it back in, but unfortunately the flap has gone missing during a house move and i cant find it anywhere!!:bigcry:

Thoughts gents please?

DazBlackCSL 03-08-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibm (Post 96344)
Morning gents

I did a track day at Bedford on Monday and my water temp gauge was rising to near the red when at full throttle :bigcry: i backed off and made sure it didn't get too hot. After searching and reading on here it seems to point to the head gasket that could be the culprit. At the end of the day i also noticed and oil leak splashing down the NSF wheel arch and sill, although is not a massive leak and the oil level has not moved.

The car has warranty, however i am flapless and my concern is the warranty guys will notice this and reject it. The easy thing i hear you say is put it back in, but unfortunately the flap has gone missing during a house move and i cant find it anywhere!!:bigcry:

Thoughts gents please?

Should not be an issue being flap less mate, mine wasn't as that has nothing to do with it.

Unless you have a very anal dealer of course

outnumbered 03-08-2011 01:03 PM

These days, finding a dealer who actually knows there should be a flap there is going to be a rarity.

shimmy 03-08-2011 01:16 PM

It's debateable of HG failure is a result of overheating (which it can be) or the cause, i am in two minds but get compression test and check just incase.

Did you notice oil temps rise first followed by water temps?

jibm 03-08-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy (Post 96354)
It's debateable of HG failure is a result of overheating (which it can be) or the cause, i am in two minds but get compression test and check just incase.

Did you notice oil temps rise first followed by water temps?

It was a very hot day, oil temp stayed at just below 2/3 most of the time

plug 03-08-2011 01:28 PM

Can you open the expansion tank and give it at bit of a smell, if there is a right bad smell off it and if it is discoloured(darker than normal), it could be the head gasket. Also check under the oil cap, if there is cum looking stuff that also points to the possibility of a HG failure but in most cases not.
Do a coolant pressure test anyway. I'd say the mechanics will carry out more tests also unless they are slow.

northernjim 03-08-2011 01:40 PM

HG failure does happen tho shim and its bound too ( IMO) with the tiny distance 'tween cylinders and years of heat cycling.... tracking just quickens it I think

Pazuzu 03-08-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibm (Post 96344)
The easy thing i hear you say is put it back in, but unfortunately the flap has gone missing during a house move and i cant find it anywhere!!:bigcry:

Thoughts gents please?

Hope you get it sorted ok.

I think I've got the flap for mine lurking somewhere in the garage so if they give you grief and you need one just give me a shout.

Cheers!

Phil

shimmy 03-08-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernjim (Post 96358)
HG failure does happen tho shim and its bound too ( IMO) with the tiny distance 'tween cylinders and years of heat cycling.... tracking just quickens it I think

I know, I've had that already, and high temps on hot trackdays before, but just not convinced it is a sign of HG failure.

shimmy 03-08-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plug (Post 96356)
Can you open the expansion tank and give it at bit of a smell, if there is a right bad smell off it and if it is discoloured(darker than normal), it could be the head gasket. Also check under the oil cap, if there is cum looking stuff that also points to the possibility of a HG failure but in most cases not.
Do a coolant pressure test anyway. I'd say the mechanics will carry out more tests also unless they are slow.

HG failure on S54 is common between cylinders, not to coolant.