CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Using a battery charger/conditioner (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11532)

sjb 01-01-2014 06:48 PM

Using a battery charger/conditioner

My car hasn't been used in a month and now a dirty great skip in front of the garage means it's unlikely to move this month so I am going to get the new charger/conditioner out. I thought it was a simple case of connecting the crocodile clips to the terminals on the battery but my instructions say to disconnect the battery cables whilst charging. Is this correct or are they just being overly cautious ?
What do you guys do?

:beer:

shimmy 01-01-2014 06:58 PM

With the Ctek the connectors can be permanently attached to the battery and you just plug the Ctek in and leave it to charge for as LNG as you like. No disconnecting necessary.

sjb 01-01-2014 07:02 PM

Ah I forgot to say mine is a Lidl special CTEK copy although German made and was well reviewed a couple of years ago when they were out. I can't see it would be any different though? it's got a facility to switch off so it can't overheat or overcharge.

Clubber 01-01-2014 07:05 PM

I use Black& Decker charger on all my cars which plugs in directly from the cig lighter. Easy to use and works very well for years.

sjb 01-01-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clubber (Post 160423)
I use Black& Decker charger on all my cars which plugs in directly from the cig lighter. Easy to use and works very well for years.

Do you bother to disconnect the battery leads whilst charging?

shimmy 01-01-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb (Post 160422)
Ah I forgot to say mine is a Lidl special CTEK copy although German made and was well reviewed a couple of years ago when they were out. I can't see it would be any different though? it's got a facility to switch off so it can't overheat or overcharge.

If it doesn't switch off automatically then I can see why they recommend disconnecting it....should have got the real deal.

cslsuperfan 01-01-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjb (Post 160426)
Do you bother to disconnect the battery leads whilst charging?

As Shim says

You need to connect the charger leads directly to the + and - terminals.
As I recall their 5mm nuts and a washer screw onto the terminal blocks so no need to disconnect the main battery terminals. The insulated charger lead will now sit between the plastic battery cover and the hardboard boot floor covering towing eye and inflation kit.

Mines an optimate 4 which is on from sept through to april. I never switch it off unless I'm unlocking the car for access.:-D

alexk 01-01-2014 07:22 PM

I connect my CTEK MXS 5.0 in the engine bay :-D
Simplessssss

sjb 01-01-2014 08:45 PM

Cheers all, I will fire up the lidl special tomorrow but now I will consider a ctek due to the known quality.
:beer:

MCSL 02-01-2014 10:57 AM

Ctek MXS 5.0T to cigarette lighter.