CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Main Message Centre (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cracked subframe (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14703)

Malcolm D 12-07-2017 02:47 PM

cracked subframe

Hi, been a member for a few years but tend to view and not post. However could do with any help/advice. Car is with Chandlers at present for service etc and they have identified a small crack on each side of the subframe. I have the BMW Insured warranty but they will not approve the repair or make a contribution based on age of vehicle, seem pretty adamant about it as well. Car has full BMW service history etc.

I seem to remember seeing post about a number of cars where this repair was covered, but i'm guessing its all moved on and is no longer covered?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Malcolm D 12-07-2017 03:50 PM

Hi, Just been reading the thread of Calcifer, think I have my answer!

Calcifer 12-07-2017 04:11 PM

Sorry to hear that, it's a shame they won't cover a design flaw.

MisterCorn 12-07-2017 05:06 PM

If car manufacturers started covering design flaws for ever and a day they would all be out of business by now. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to get it sorted out.

MC

shawn 968cs 12-07-2017 06:02 PM

I had the same, makes the warranty a bit useless when you are paying the full amount like me.
I must adjust my policy the main mechanicals / drivetrain only

Calcifer 12-07-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCorn (Post 201220)
If car manufacturers started covering design flaws for ever and a day they would all be out of business by now. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to get it sorted out.

MC

Such as?

Having owned a number of cars. I haven't experienced a major failure as this in the CSL EXCEPT for in my M Coupe. Also BMW!

If a car has been under dealer servicing and upkeep and everything was carried out on schedule by way of maintenance then surely something significant as this ought to be rectified by them.

JBird 12-07-2017 06:58 PM

Yep, as mentioned in the other thread, 10 yr goodwill has unfortunatly come to an end.

Got me wondering if the BMW Insured Warranty that many people have might cover it (I guess it wasn't really a consideration till now as the goodwill was available). The comprehensive policy wording says it covers all "mechanical and electrical" exept for ... [long exclusion list]. In the exlusion list "bodywork" is mentioned.

Personally I would not call an integral part of the chassis like the floorpan in question, "bodywork". Bodywork to me is fenders, bumpers etc. (As an engineer, I would argue the chassis just a large part of the suspension!) So it is a bit grey. The policy clearly covers driveline, and the mounting of the rear driveline to the chassis is the cause of the issue. Conclusion, grey as hell.

If you can't get them to cover it, must you repair it yourself to pass the MOT?

select 12-07-2017 07:16 PM

First of all, you guys in the UK should be happy that you have the option to have a bmw warranty for an car as old as the CSL. In germany they offeryou nothing. Except if you buy a used car from them.. but then its only 2 years and not transferable, so pretty much different story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 201224)

I'd venture and say its definitely a MOT failure.. if its spotted. The issue is, it won't be spotted from the MOT guy unless the whole boot floor is coming apart already.

JBird 12-07-2017 07:27 PM

I should add that I was reading an actual print version of policy book from 2008. It lists bodywork as exception idem that is not covered. The BMW Insured Warranty website actually does not.

Malcolm D 12-07-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 201224)
Yep, as mentioned in the other thread, 10 yr goodwill has unfortunatly come to an end.

Got me wondering if the BMW Insured Warranty that many people have might cover it (I guess it wasn't really a consideration till now as the goodwill was available). The comprehensive policy wording says it covers all "mechanical and electrical" exept for ... [long exclusion list]. In the exlusion list "bodywork" is mentioned.

Personally I would not call an integral part of the chassis like the floorpan in question, "bodywork". Bodywork to me is fenders, bumpers etc. (As an engineer, I would argue the chassis just a large part of the suspension!) So it is a bit grey. The policy clearly covers driveline, and the mounting of the rear driveline to the chassis is the cause of the issue. Conclusion, grey as hell.

Yep that's correct, ironically its BMW who have failed it for MOT, so they knew what to look for. But BMW Insured Warranty wont entertain it, not even a contribution towards repair. Just waiting on quote to see how much!