CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Crunching gears randomly (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14314)

toenheel 03-09-2016 09:13 AM

Crunching gears randomly

Morning all

Cecil every now and then won't engage a gear and crunches it, I've had it to bmw but it's intermittent so can't get it to do it in front of a tech. I've replaced the salmon relay. I've got full warranty on it but they can't claim until something fails apparently. Any ideas? Makes you look a right wally when you boot it past someone and its crunching and screaming up the revs!!

Chad 03-09-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toenheel (Post 197210)
Morning all

Cecil every now and then won't engage a gear and crunches it, I've had it to bmw but it's intermittent so can't get it to do it in front of a tech. I've replaced the salmon relay. I've got full warranty on it but they can't claim until something fails apparently. Any ideas? Makes you look a right wally when you boot it past someone and its crunching and screaming up the revs!!

For me I wouldn't spend. £1000 + on warranty. Each year. On a twelve year old car,, But put it into proper maintenance.and that includes not spending hundreds of pounds at dealers on services, on a few pints of oil and oil filter,,for a poxy stamp...do it yourself,, Problem could be sticking clutch issue, or gear engagement problem, eg possibly springs and locating pin or ball bearing in box, they are a easy job, and the cheapest, 4or five hr job, also do gearbox oil change at same time. Could also be in hydrolics, but unlicly , sure there will be plenty of other suggestions on possible causes

toenheel 04-09-2016 04:40 PM

Cheers. Warranty has more than paid for itself over the years and I've a good relationship with my local dealer so never have any issues with claims but something needs to fail first. I personally find the warranty brilliant considering the age of the car I've had diff's and all kinds replaced.

shimmy 04-09-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 197216)
For me I wouldn't spend. £1000 + on warranty. Each year. On a twelve year old car,, But put it into proper maintenance.and that includes not spending hundreds of pounds at dealers on services, on a few pints of oil and oil filter,,for a poxy stamp...do it yourself,, Problem could be sticking clutch issue, or gear engagement problem, eg possibly springs and locating pin or ball bearing in box, they are a easy job, and the cheapest, 4or five hr job, also do gearbox oil change at same time. Could also be in hydrolics, but unlicly , sure there will be plenty of other suggestions on possible causes

Depends how much and how hard you use it.

My warranty pud out £30k in 4 years. Not bad for a £5k outlay. And after you are left with new gearbox, engine, diff(s), SMG pump, etc

Chad 04-09-2016 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy (Post 197220)

My warranty pud out £30k in 4 years. Not bad for a £5k outlay. And after you are left with new gearbox, engine, diff(s), SMG pump, etc

That's what happens shimmy, if you drive Csl about in sixth gear all day ,:blalalala:

shimmy 04-09-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 197221)
That's what happens shimmy, if you drive Csl about in sixth gear all day ,:blalalala:

186mph in 6th gear ;)

Chad 04-09-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy (Post 197222)
186mph in 6th gear ;)

Out of interest shimmy , how long do you wait for repairs on warranty claim , reason for asking my lad waited two years for new motor, not warranty paid for it himself, not sure if waiting time is any better, Chad

Chad 04-09-2016 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy (Post 197220)

Won't deny that's a good result, nice to get something from insurance :thumbs:

shimmy 04-09-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 197226)
Out of interest shimmy , how long do you wait for repairs on warranty claim , reason for asking my lad waited two years for new motor, not warranty paid for it himself, not sure if waiting time is any better, Chad

Mine has always been quick but that's just luck I think, if they haven't got the parts or motors made up, sometimes you just have to wait

Cams were 18 months previously

Mike R 05-09-2016 08:38 AM

I have the same issue, and car is going back to BMW to see if they can find out. They did all the same things your dealership did and it is pretty random when it does it. Sometimes on track, sometimes just poodling around.

Speed and load seem irrelevant. Sometimes it has even done it in auto mode.

If you find out before me, please post here and I will do the same.