CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Area (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Paint blues (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14853)

select 24-01-2018 11:22 AM

The rear isnt bad at all. I was talking about the front bumper. Getting the snorkel attached is annoying also lining up the bumper with the impact absorbers :bigcry:

Chad 24-01-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by select (Post 202795)
The rear isnt bad at all. I was talking about the front bumper. Getting the snorkel attached is annoying also lining up the bumper with the impact absorbers :bigcry:

hi Julian yes I can imagine it will be tricky, hopefully will be easier as I?€™ve got wings and plastic under arches etc all off, undertray off, so I should have good access, also am able to drive over a pit / steps for easy access,... plus I like a challenge :smokin:

Chad 25-01-2018 10:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Really happy with £50 results so for, after only 5 mins of buffing, But really happy with paint match :smokin: Possibly a bit more clear coat to matching doors, but definitely not to bonnet, will see better when buffed and a proper polish,... ended up spraying about 85 percent just blended into top of wings.

Mike R 25-01-2018 12:08 PM

Very nice work - wish I had those kind of skills (and patience) :).

Chad 07-02-2018 06:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Another place to check , rear wheel arches, where rear clip holds rear bumper to arch . I’m presuming this is a common rust point, luckily this is only on underside of arch and isn’t visible with bumper fitted, so carefully sanding back and will treat light rust , and repaint seal etc,, there are a fair few cars that have been done under bmw warranty in this area, mine being one of them wax treated on the inside to prevent any problems, but I guess they don’t do this part of paint ,, :whistle: Glad I found this before it affects visible areas :thumbs:

Chad 07-02-2018 07:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Luckily not affected paintwork under and around rear arch near filler cap flap area, so not overly disappointed as they all nearly 15 years old now:smt055. Coat of kurust for now

select 08-02-2018 07:20 PM

Very nice work chad. I wonder if you will be finished in time for 15th anniversary :hahaha:
Btw if your filler cap gasket is a bit worn now is a good time to replace it with the rear bumper and inner arch liners (?) removed.

Chad 08-02-2018 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by select (Post 202887)
Very nice work chad. I wonder if you will be finished in time for 15th anniversary :hahaha:
Btw if your filler cap gasket is a bit worn now is a good time to replace it with the rear bumper and inner arch liners (?) removed.

hi Julian,checked out parts not sure, but it says seal part no ended , so will call at parts check out if it’s available , as for being ready it wouldn’t take long to put back together,so all good, while it’s got bumpers etc off..want to check over a few more known problem areas, rear top damper mount gasket area while I’ve got easy access, surprising how you find rusty bits when you take a close look then pick the paint back.. but better to catch it now.., .:thumbs:

select 09-02-2018 08:39 AM

Yes you are correct you cant buy the gasket individually. You have to buy the whole assembly including the filler cap itself but its not expensive from what i remember. I can look up the bill when im back at home.

GregorFuk 09-02-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 202884)
Another place to check , rear wheel arches, where rear clip holds rear bumper to arch.

I have placed a small patch of helicopter tape between the clip and the body work. Stops the clip from rubbing away the paint.