CSL Register

CSL Register (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parts For Sale (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Alcon brake kits (http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11607)

glendog74 15-01-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy (Post 161578)
Any track unless you drive like Yanto will soon find the limit of the OEM even with pads and fluid upgrades.

:supz: :supz:

mr sagman 15-01-2014 12:30 AM

Ha ha , Hope Yanto's not on line tonight lol.. Seems like a no brainer to me.. these brakes look the bollocks, Only decision for me is whether to bite the bullet and bust the credit card now, Or whether to do the first euro trip with upgraded pads/hoses/fluid and see 'how it goes' And potentially buy the F&R later in the year when funds allow and track days beckon. God my head hurts (And my wallet).

Rick H 15-01-2014 07:36 AM

I have these on F & B (in CSL Cup form with RS29 all round - ex-KPNutz) and they're pretty much nothing then everything. I had them fitted at Darren Woods, when I picked the car up the guys warned me I needed to be careful as the pads needed warming up - I drove off and promptly ended up flying onto a roundabout - luckily nothing was coming!!! This wasn't the pads as I've run RS29 since getting the car. The issue was the difference in pedal travel from the stock brakes - the Alcons go right down before they kick in and then they kick in hard.

On the Wales trip, I got the measure of them and they were awesome. I haven't driven APs, but talking it through with Ben, the APs would appear to bite a lot sooner and they are far more progressive as pressure is applied.

Credit to Darren Woods for the fitting and warning, the brakes are awesome as I say but they are a different animal to stock, the pedal needs to go down to get the benefit.

shane@mbtech 15-01-2014 08:15 AM

Fitted a lot of alcons and they need bleeding very methodically. I found the same as you first time round, then re bled with different process, and completely different.

I find the alcons are better for road driving than the AP as they are not quite as aggressive on initial application.

Rick H 15-01-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 161593)
Fitted a lot of alcons and they need bleeding very methodically. I found the same as you first time round, then re bled with different process, and completely different.

I find the alcons are better for road driving than the AP as they are not quite as aggressive on initial application.

Thats interesting to know thanks, it maybe worth getting them re-bled when the car is back on the road in the Spring. It being DW, I would assume it was a proper job though, they're highly rated by everybody. They have GT1 etc.

SMD 15-01-2014 09:32 AM

E92 option Shane?

Das Chin 15-01-2014 10:11 AM

nice looking kit and great price. considering most people ditch the DS 2500s with the AP kit then makes even more sense.

lovely disc pattern and build and colour. would go well with an SB or SG CSL.

shane@mbtech 15-01-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick H (Post 161594)
Thats interesting to know thanks, it maybe worth getting them re-bled when the car is back on the road in the Spring. It being DW, I would assume it was a proper job though, they're highly rated by everybody. They have GT1 etc.

Not judging their ability as I they seem to know their onions, but ive seen many garages bleed 6 pot calipers incorrectly, ie wrong nipple first.

If they used a machine to pressure bleed them then that doesn't work well I've found on the big brakes.

We do all the big brake kit bleeds manually.

shane@mbtech 15-01-2014 12:50 PM

Rick your brakes don't sound right after reading the roundabout scenario.

Monkey 15-01-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawsy (Post 161618)
Not judging their ability as I they seem to know their onions, but ive seen many garages bleed 6 pot calipers incorrectly, ie wrong nipple first.

If they used a machine to pressure bleed them then that doesn't work well I've found on the big brakes.

We do all the big brake kit bleeds manually.

Found this as well. Usually do an initial bleed with the pressure bleeder, use Autologic to bleed the DSC & then finish off with a manual bleed. Almost always get some air out when doing it manually.

As has been highlighted, you should have little pedal travel with big brake kits, I'd definately look at getting them bled again.