PDA

View Full Version : what would you sell your car for?

MisterCorn
13-06-2015, 08:52 PM
On the back of the thread on the current market, as far as I can see every car is for sale. With the likes of Rowan Atkinson selling his F1 as the price has gone so high (I note he still has his NSX though), what amount of money would tempt you to sell? Some of you guys have owned your cars for years and will be sitting on a profit, but what do you buy with the money as not much compares at this price level? I only bought mine a few months ago but I really like it. That said there about 100 other cars I also like. I'll start the ball rolling. I will split it in to two lists as I expect the black ones will be cheaper as they aren't quite as quick.

Fast SG cars.

MC 71k miles. £39k and you get two sets of wheels and tyres.

Slightly slower black cars.

MC

shimmy
13-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Id sell mine for what I bought her for 8.5 years ago, £33.5k

Bounce
13-06-2015, 09:11 PM
If I wanted to sell now I would take 36k.But I don't ;)

Bounce
13-06-2015, 09:12 PM
It's on 84k miles

Bounce
13-06-2015, 09:15 PM
But would except £50k now if anyone is offering:hahaha:

MisterCorn
13-06-2015, 09:22 PM
But would except £50k now if anyone is offering:hahaha:

That is the spirit, it is about what you would take now, not what you would advertise for. I have heard many times of buyers just approaching owners and offering a price which is then accepted even though the car wasn't for sale. I will edit these replies to a sensible format when I am not on my phone.
Keep it real though guys, for this to be real fun it must be a sensible price that if somebody offered you would take, but if they offered you a penny less you wouldn't take. I would start a thread on suitable alternatives but I don't know any, perhaps that is a good reason to start one.

MC

mick csl
14-06-2015, 12:24 AM
50k miles on it (LHD), I won't take less than 100k euro's :whistle: .

Trawler
14-06-2015, 12:32 AM
£80k might tempt me. Had it for nearly 9 years & no intention to sell.

Clubber
14-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Because of our ridiculous tax system, I wouldn't consider anything lower than £90K. Before you all crucify me, let me remind you that a new M4 costs £150K here.:bigcry:

jupe777
14-06-2015, 01:39 AM
As someone quite rightly said on a thread recently it needs all CSL's to be in more secure hands which I think is slowly happening. Seeing 55/65k mile cars selling for £32/35k needs to end. I believe this will be a thing of the past soon. Personally I wouldn't sell either of mine for less than £45k, they will be worth much more in time. Fuck the value for now and enjoy it!!!!! I would however consider a swap for a good E30 M3 for one of the CSL's or possibly an E34 M5 but that is all about desire and not money.

Ps the only reason I could consider a swap is because I would still have a CSL. It is by far the best car I have ever driven, I bloody love it. Wouldn't mind a 997 GT3 though ;-).

alexk
14-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Would only sell for 150k CHF

shimmy
14-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Ok, I take that back, please all stop PMing me :)

I'm not actually selling but if I would that was the ££ if be happy with

billyboysm3
14-06-2015, 09:06 AM
So I'd only sell for £50k, not a penny less. On 45k miles, brand new engine, discs pads, bushes, suspension, bushes, tie rod arms, alternator, power steering pump about to stick on new cups on unmarked alloys, Mint interior and mint exterior. Getting the front bumper painted after I've run engine in and not sticking rims on till then either.

Then it can sit in the garage in true garage queen style. Maybe a ring trip a year.

Judging by all the cars I've seen for sale I've not seen a mint one for a while.

With the dosh I'd put some money into the track car and go racing.

Roland
14-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Ok, I take that back, please all stop PMing me :)

I'm not actually selling but if I would that was the ££ if be happy with

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

some guy just offered me what it was new..... no way it's parked good at my place :thumbs:

Trawler
14-06-2015, 10:29 AM
:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

some guy just offered me what it was new..... no way it's parked good at my place :thumbs:

Come on Roland get it out. Those mountain passes are calling. If your struggling for time I would be happy to take it out for you & stretch it's legs. I need a car over there in the next few weeks.

mattCSLnut
14-06-2015, 12:30 PM

Joking aside, you'd probably get that if you revert yours back to OEM and tidy up any worn out interior trim bits :thumbs: except your OEM seats which must still be like new ;)

Matt21
14-06-2015, 01:35 PM
64k spot on history, Supersprint Exhaust, APs, subframe done, inspection 1 last month, full comp BMW warranty, SG, mint

If I wanted to sell would put it up for £39995 and be patient, as I don't £49995!

shimmy
14-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Joking aside, you'd probably get that if you revert yours back to OEM and tidy up any worn out interior trim bits :thumbs: except your OEM seats which must still be like new ;)

Is just stick it for sale as it is in track trim and quote the lap times :)

As Barry says, it must be a fast car!

:bigcry:

mattCSLnut
14-06-2015, 02:42 PM
64k spot on history, Supersprint Exhaust, APs, subframe done, inspection 1 last month, full comp BMW warranty, SG, mint

If I wanted to sell would put it up for £39995 and be patient, as I don't £49995!

IMHO, you should have yours agreed value insured for £45K :thumbs:
Just try to avoid using words like "mint" ;) unless you're selling confectioneries :smt056

Matt21
14-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Haha fair point. Insurance renewal time so a hike in valuation is coming

cslsuperfan
14-06-2015, 07:10 PM
In the spirit of the thread

and if selling I would accept £40K.

It's not to everyone's taste being slightly modified ;).

But it owes me a great deal more......

Most of us know deep down there's nothing close to the CSL in the same price bracket.

MisterCorn
14-06-2015, 07:18 PM
It seems that the prices people would sell now for are typically about £5-10k over what the current cars on the market are selling for. The recurring theme of nothing short of £60k buying you an equally fun car shows where the prices are going. I think that with modern cars being a bit dull to drive and not having the involvement, cars like the CSL will continue to rise in value.
I don't feel that the CSL is seen in the same way as the GT3, I assume due to having more shared components with the M3. But I am sure its time is coming.

MC

billyboysm3
14-06-2015, 07:39 PM
That's the problem, nothing to buy for £40-£60k that really makes you want to sell up.

And if you have got a minter your not going to part with it for the price of the rough ones out there.

shimmy
14-06-2015, 07:45 PM
It seems that the prices people would sell now for are typically about £5-10k over what the current cars on the market are selling for. The recurring theme of nothing short of £60k buying you an equally fun car shows where the prices are going. I think that with modern cars being a bit dull to drive and not having the involvement, cars like the CSL will continue to rise in value.
I don't feel that the CSL is seen in the same way as the GT3, I assume due to having more shared components with the M3. But I am sure its time is coming.

MC

bound to ask for more than they are selling for if we are not selling.........saves us having to accept an offer

mattCSLnut
14-06-2015, 08:18 PM
That's the problem, nothing to buy for £40-£60k that really makes you want to sell up.

And if you have got a minter your not going to part with it for the price of the rough ones out there.

The obvious solutions could be, we all collectively up our CSLs valuations / speculative sale prices to bring in line with the next best thing to own after Cecil :thumbs:
This seems to have worked quite well for the Porsche guys few years ago :smokin:
Could this be the beginning of the CSL revolution ? :whistle:

Trawler
14-06-2015, 08:20 PM

And when you need to factor in room for golf clubs, mrs suitcases, cases of wine bought abroad the choice gets even harder. As I have mentioned that is why I picked Cesil over pork gt3 all those years ago.

Cosworth50
14-06-2015, 09:24 PM
If anyone would genuinely actually sell then do please PM me. Mileage, condition and price.

Thanks

lee
14-06-2015, 09:46 PM
If i was to sell up would ask 42k New engine Bmw histor Supersprint APs all-around subframe done inspection 1 just done BMW warranty 80k miles

But what would i replace it with 997 turbo?

Clubber
14-06-2015, 09:46 PM
A small market test turned in to a group sell thread :) people listing what they have on their cars, service history and stuff :)

MisterCorn
14-06-2015, 10:06 PM
If i was to sell up would ask 42k New engine Bmw histor Supersprint APs all-around subframe done inspection 1 just done BMW warranty 80k miles

But what would i replace it with 997 turbo?

Very different car. I run a 996 turbo around 650hp. The CSL feels more connected to the road, the throttle response is so much faster, the steering feels better. You need to look to a GT3 for an equivalent. The Porsche is fun in a straight line, which ticks a box.

MC

Cosworth50
14-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Ha yes, it's a group buy thread. Not a bad idea really is it?! People post their car and people pick their favourite!

lee
14-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Very different car. I run a 996 turbo around 650hp. The CSL feels more connected to the road, the throttle response is so much faster, the steering feels better. You need to look to a GT3 for an equivalent. The Porsche is fun in a straight line, which ticks a box.

MC

650bhp that's going to be fun

What's your the turbo like on track and what car you take for a track day

alexk
14-06-2015, 11:22 PM
I am not selling mine though !

cslsuperfan
14-06-2015, 11:33 PM

I do think it's a seller's market . That's the first time in 7 years of driving the CSL.

About bloody time. We're still light years from the 996/997 GT prices.

Is this finally the time that sees the CSL fulfil its true value in the market place? :smokin:

Matt21
15-06-2015, 03:42 AM
If just a couple of us put our cars up for sale on say PH over the odds, I think it could tip the market. One high price sometimes looks like a chancer.

I could put my 64k car up for £50k. Others similarly high.

If anyone rings say it's sold!

Probably illegal though....

MisterCorn
15-06-2015, 07:19 AM
650bhp that's going to be fun

What's your the turbo like on track and what car you take for a track day

I have done a couple of track days in it. I am not a good enough driver and end up braking way too early as I arrive at corners at silly speeds. I have a Clio 172 for track days as that costs peanuts to run and I won't cry if I bin it.

MC

MisterCorn
15-06-2015, 07:43 AM
If just a couple of us put our cars up for sale on say PH over the odds, I think it could tip the market. One high price sometimes looks like a chancer.

I can't see why it would be illegal. A little odd, largely pointless, but not illegal. I might do that myself....

MC

Matt21
15-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I can't see why it would be illegal. A little odd, largely pointless, but not illegal. I might do that myself....

MC

Agree it is a bit odd. As a sum of parts I do not think that a CSL is worth approximately 3 x an M3. But it still represents great value as a package. If the CSL flew out of the showrooms and thousands were sold we would not be having this discussion today.

The old addage of supply and demand rings true, and right now demand exceeds supply, hence price rises are understandable.

mattCSLnut
15-06-2015, 09:54 AM

There's nothing illegal about it Matt ;) It's pretty much what Porsche boys did few years ago :thumbs:

nw942
15-06-2015, 11:23 AM
There's nothing illegal about it Matt ;) It's pretty much what Porsche boys did few years ago :thumbs:

Now would actually be a good time to try it as the others cars currently for sale are all strongly priced.

Matt21
15-06-2015, 11:25 AM
I have free ads on PH. Might put one up this weekend then!

Mike R
15-06-2015, 11:32 AM
This is why I WON'T be selling mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0I38-fxyQ

billyboysm3
15-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Heading the right way:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=924&Page=1&SortOptions=PriceHighToLow

Cosworth50
15-06-2015, 11:35 AM

You might just find that people ring you - so many people are after these cars right now.

toenheel
16-06-2015, 12:55 AM
GT3 RS was always the plan but frankly the prices are now completely insane so i'm happy sticking with my old BM.:thumbs:

mick csl
16-06-2015, 01:32 AM
GT3 RS was always the plan but frankly the prices are now completely insane so i'm happy sticking with my old BM.:thumbs:

+1:beer:

Matt21
16-06-2015, 02:35 AM
You might just find that people ring you - so many people are after these cars right now.

Did that 32k car at Greypaul Ferrari sell? If not I'm suprised, price looks ok

LeinsCSL
16-06-2015, 10:05 AM
964 RS was always the plan but frankly the prices are now completely insane so i'm happy sticking with my old BM.:thumbs:

EFme

cslsuperfan
16-06-2015, 07:20 PM

They'll drop in time....:thumbs:

MisterCorn
16-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Wait for the crash, but sell your CSL first.

MC

SJA
17-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Interesting thread this.

My car has 47k on the clock, would have to be silly money before I thought about selling! & like everyone else the problem is what next?

Yanto
17-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Interesting thread this.

My car has 47k on the clock, would have to be silly money before I thought about selling! & like everyone else the problem is what next?

Exactly what mine had when I bought it 6 years ago.

Now 80k

Get out and drive it :beer:

shawn 968cs
17-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Wait for the crash, but sell your CSL first.

MC

Funny you should say that about a crash! I'm not 100% sure but think one may be around the corner, hope I am wrong and its just a blip.
All our customers who deal with automotive are pushing orders out 3+ months!:( and we are seeing knock on effects to other industries now.
Also a large subcontractor we use in Germany who deal directly with automotive , we have seen their lead-times go from 20 weeks to 6 in the last two months.
Like I say I hope its a blip.

MisterCorn
17-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I bought my CSL 4 months ago and I could sell for 20% more now. My NSX which I bought 14 months ago is worth over 50% more than what I paid for it. It will end in tears for some. It is just judging when to get out.

MC

J2LTB
17-06-2015, 11:20 PM
So what would a high mileage Csl sell for then ????

Shimmy is probably closest I've seen mileage wise.

Mines 113k Full BMW history. Full ap's . BMW subframe repair done. Close on perfect paint. Head gasket done. Very good condition. This is sounding like a for sale ad lol ( it isn't ) I'll say £26k ???

MisterCorn
17-06-2015, 11:55 PM
I think £30k for a quick sale. Try it :)
I started this thread to get a discussion on prices going. I had no idea how many people wanted to push them up.
MC

LeinsCSL
18-06-2015, 12:08 AM
If the crash comes I'll get closer to a 964 RS
If there's no crash I'll hopefully keep getting closer to a CLK Black
Worst case scenario I'll still have my Cesil
And regardless of all scenarios I might not be able to bring myself to sell the Cesil anyway

AKA I don't really give a feck! ;)

mattCSLnut
18-06-2015, 12:12 AM
So what would a high mileage Csl sell for then ????

Shimmy is probably closest I've seen mileage wise.

Mines 113k Full BMW history. Full ap's . BMW subframe repair done. Close on perfect paint. Head gasket done. Very good condition. This is sounding like a for sale ad lol ( it isn't ) I'll say £26k ???

£26K !!! ... U really think you could find the same, like for like Cecil for that kind of money, if you were looking to buy ?
No... I didn't think so. IMHO £30K minimum if you were thinking of selling :beer:
113K miles isn't particularly high mileage for a 12 year old BMW M3, especially one like yours with Full BMW service history with all the essential bits & bobs done :thumbs:. If it had 150K miles then I'd agree, it would be considered above average mileage or high mileage if you want to be a glass half empty kind of guy ;) but these days condition & good service history are far more important than odometer reading ;)

mattCSLnut
18-06-2015, 12:14 AM
If the crash comes I'll get closer to a 964 RS
If there's no crash I'll hopefully keep getting closer to a CLK Black
Worst case scenario I'll still have my Cesil
And regardless of all scenarios I might not be able to bring myself to sell the Cesil anyway

AKA I don't really give a feck! ;)

That's probably the healthiest attitude to have mate :beer:

J2LTB
18-06-2015, 01:02 PM
£26K !!! ... U really think you could find the same, like for like Cecil for that kind of money, if you were looking to buy ?
No... I didn't think so. IMHO £30K minimum if you were thinking of selling :beer:
113K miles isn't particularly high mileage for a 12 year old BMW M3, especially one like yours with Full BMW service history with all the essential bits & bobs done :thumbs:. If it had 150K miles then I'd agree, it would be considered above average mileage or high mileage if you want to be a glass half empty kind of guy ;) but these days condition & good service history are far more important than odometer reading ;)

Well you've made my day then :beer: 30k would mean a great investment for me 😜

When I was first actively looking for a Csl towards the middle/end of 2012 the prices were vastly different. I looked at a couple of SG cars . ( One was ex Mr Lloyds old car ) both were around 90k miles and both 24k. I'm told both cars were sold over to Germany.

73CSL
18-06-2015, 04:32 PM
this talk of a crash etc .... I think we keep forgetting how the cost of new cars increases , anyone fancy a golf for £40K ?

People are buying cars for many different reasons, they are not all investment pieces. A lot want a great car to drive regularly that isn't going to depreciate. With this attitude and the lack of alternatives I think things will stay stable long term ( stable meaning, as the price of new cars increases I think the usuable classics will follow )

Could be wrong of course, but these days a lot of car enthusiasts , all at different spending levels, can afford both a daily driver & a toy without breaking out into a financial sweat

73CSL
18-06-2015, 04:35 PM
out of interest, just spent 3 days & 2000Km's of driving my Porsche 964 C2 to LeMans and back , country roads most of teh time. Great car for that kind of journey ....... but just got into the CSL to take it for its MOT, having not driven it for about 3 weeks. I forgot what a car it is. Compared to the 964, the csl engine is so revvy , the car so willing to change direction and basically so wanting to be driven quickly etc

The CSL is an amazing car & we shouldn't become complacent :smokin:

cslsuperfan
18-06-2015, 07:16 PM
the csl engine is so revvy , the car so willing to change direction and basically so wanting to be driven quickly etc

The CSL is an amazing car & we shouldn't become complacent :smokin:

Agreed

Billy has managed to get the same results from a stock M3. check out the Bedford video.

Cosworth50
20-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Well I'm after one.

Mileage doesn't bother me at all BUT it bothers everyone else so it bothers me.

People always say this 'mileage doesn't matter buy on condition'

But then everyone always says 'what do you think my 74k mile car is worth?'

I'd say mileage is the key factor in determining price, wrongly imho, but it's the way life is.

If any one has one please PM me with your location, price and honest appraisal of the car inc service history mileage and owners.

cslsuperfan
20-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Well I'm after one.

Mileage doesn't bother me at all BUT it bothers everyone else so it bothers me.

People always say this 'mileage doesn't matter buy on condition'

But then everyone always says 'what do you think my 74k mile car is worth?'

I'd say mileage is the key factor in determining price, wrongly imho, but it's the way life is.

If any one has one please PM me with your location, price and honest appraisal of the car inc service history mileage and owners.

Cosworth50

the mileage is a factor but it's not a priority; service history, overall condition, length of time with current owner and how it drives are all considerations to be made alongside the mileage.

I'm in my third csl at the moment, both previous car's were lower mileage and inferior car's to my current csl.

A pre-purchase inspection with your trusted indie or stealer is a must.

If the seller is genuine he/she will let you inspect the car fully. It's the best £150-£200 you'll ever spend.

MisterCorn
20-06-2015, 08:21 PM
It is true that you should 'buy on condition'. It is also true that mileage massively affects price. So what you are left with is cars priced based on mileage, and you buy the best one at the price level based on condition.

MC