PDA

View Full Version : Engine chatter

bryce
24-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Had a listen to my engine on sunday when I was giving the car a wash, and noticed a slightly chattering noise coming from it. To me it sounds slightly like tappets, and it increases in speed as the revs go up.

I think its always done it since owning the car, but the service manager is calling in on thurs (warranties out on monday :119: )

Mark, Gary and Derek had a listen to it an Knockhill cos I wanted them to check the Vanos was sounding OK.

Is it normal that there'd be a slight chattering? Or should I push the dealer to strip it down?

Cheers.

ps. Ive got a vid on my phone, which is crap quality, but gives an idea. If anyone wants a listen, PM your email.

SMD
24-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Mine also sounds like that and the other CSL's i have been in! :-D

monkeycsl
24-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Mine too think its normal :banana:

thegingerninja
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Normal - they all do it.

bryce
03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Service man came by the other day, says its fine. Its just the valves ticking away.

cslgirl
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Mine makes that noise too. I thought there was something wrong with it but got the M tech guy to have a listen/look and nope, its normal:thumbs:

NZ_M3
03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
If you are ever wondering, put the sharp end of a screw driver on the vanos unit and listen with your ear on the blunt end - if it's vanos you'll hear it loud and clear.

Very useful way of diagnosing the source of any noise (it's what all mechanics do)

The vanos rattle is very distinctive and hard to miss ... best described as marbles in a can ... (it really does sound like it) and will usually occur on start up and won't go away as the car warms - rises with revs also

bryce
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Very useful way of diagnosing the source of any noise (it's what all mechanics do)

That is a handy tip :thumbs:

I get a grinding noise sometimes when I first start the car, it lasts for 1 second.