PDA

View Full Version : Do you all have a warranty your csl?

ZKMI
06-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Just was wondering if all the csl owners have warranties or not and your reason for each choice..

Thanks guys.

ICS

alexk
06-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I dont have because its not an option here.

73CSL
06-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I have a warranty, but am wondering wether its good value for only 5000 - 7000 miles a year ..... probabally going to be more cost effective for me to use the money to pay for an extended warranty on my daily Range Rover :-D

Mike R
06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Yes, because it was easy to continue this on from the previous owner and the fear of big repair bills (especially as the car gets used very hard (as in as BMW built it for ;)).

Chris-CSL
06-01-2014, 02:35 PM
for the price of the Warranty (I pay the monthly DD) and the hassle free / worry free WHEN something goes wrong with the car its covered! @ 10 years old those parts are going to go wrong sooner than later.

s.mac
06-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Yes but I won't renew this year. I don't use it enough and it has finished track life, for now anyway :)

cslgirl
06-01-2014, 03:43 PM
No, not since 2006. If I was tracking my car, then yes I would of definitely considered it, but it is only used on the road and have only had 2 issues in the last 7 years (RVM leak and a diff seal leak) which cost less then £1k to repair.

AlexGTT
06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Haven't had mine warrantied for a few years now. Very few issues. Can always get it back but don't use it enough to be worth it for me.

Alx
06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I dont have because its not an option here.
+1

glendog74
06-01-2014, 08:33 PM
No warranty for past 3 years. No issues.

Reason for stopping was the cost hike once my car passed 60k miles.

Yanto
06-01-2014, 08:46 PM
for the price of the Warranty (I pay the monthly DD) and the hassle free / worry free WHEN something goes wrong with the car its covered! @ 10 years old those parts are going to go wrong sooner than later.

+1

si.w
06-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Yes. For me it's worth it for peace of mind...

Bounce
06-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Yes. For me it's worth it for peace of mind...+1 :wink:

Pooky
07-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Full warranty at £77 a month with breakdown

Total warranty bill (to warranty company) in last two years over 8k.

ZKMI
07-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Full warranty at £77 a month with breakdown

Total warranty bill (to warranty company) in last two years over 8k.

8k wow!

What were the issues mate?

_Nathan_
07-01-2014, 05:37 PM
You need to remember that the 8k at BMW main dealer changing whatever part the computer tells them to next followed by adding every possible thing they can squeeze though on the claim to make more money could well be significantly less with correct initial diags and part replacement.

Don't get me wrong, CSLs can be quite fragile things (mine was great but others who've done more miles and can drive faster than me seem to have chomped through engines, gearboxes and diffs) but I'm not sure the figured banded around would be the case if you were to pay for repairs yourself.

Not the same car but I'm just about to cancel the warranty on my e90 M3, had it 2 years and in that time the only thing has been the DVD player for the sat nav which I could've sent away to have fixed for a couple of hundred quid. The warranty claim was massive as they broke a wire behind the dash when swapping it resulting in half the dash coming out, new loom and associated labour but the numbers aren't representative of the real cost if I'd sorted it myself.

AlexGTT
07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
You need to remember that the 8k at BMW main dealer changing whatever part the computer tells them to next followed by adding every possible thing they can squeeze though on the claim to make more money could well be significantly less with correct initial diags and part replacement.

Don't get me wrong, CSLs can be quite fragile things (mine was great but others who've done more miles and can drive faster than me seem to have chomped through engines, gearboxes and diffs) but I'm not sure the figured banded around would be the case if you were to pay for repairs yourself.

Not the same car but I'm just about to cancel the warranty on my e90 M3, had it 2 years and in that time the only thing has been the DVD player for the sat nav which I could've sent away to have fixed for a couple of hundred quid. The warranty claim was massive as they broke a wire behind the dash when swapping it resulting in half the dash coming out, new loom and associated labour but the numbers aren't representative of the real cost if I'd sorted it myself.

+1. My experience completely.

cslsuperfan
07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Yes
Full BMW Warranty from new
Been on Monthly DD for last 4 years
Never claimed other than subframe repair which was not done through Mondial

I suspect any future claims may be questioned due to the completely stock example I now own:whistle:
Sir Gareth of Elmshire will be council for the defence in any future warranty claims!!

s.mac
08-01-2014, 07:51 AM
8k is that all :hahaha:

+2 Nathan

Steve B
08-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Well said, warranty is a licence to bill bill bill away.....

Pooky
08-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Well said, warranty is a licence to bill bill bill away.....

This isn't necessarily the case.

If you go through the warranty bills back to the warranty company you find they are scrutinised plus the warranty labour charge is at a much reduced rate. I cant remember the exact figures but it's less than half the normal to customer hourly rate.

This is why some dealers aren't so hot with wanting to cover warranty work as from their workshop point of view it's worth less to them than it would be if performing work directly for a paying customer.

MarcM
08-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Yes, I do have a warranty. Don't so much question having a warranty, more the standard of work of the dealers. :moan:

73CSL
08-01-2014, 05:42 PM
one thing to bear in mind, a CSL with a warranty in place is surely more desirable when it comes the time to sell ?

s.mac
08-01-2014, 07:01 PM
one thing to bear in mind, a CSL with a warranty in place is surely more desirable when it comes the time to sell ?

maybe not in 5/10 years time :)

_Nathan_
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM

Not if it is over 60k miles and cannot be transferred without costing nearly £2k a year.

73CSL
09-01-2014, 07:59 AM
I've got mine on a monthly payment on the pre 60K mile price

_Nathan_
09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
I've got mine on a monthly payment on the pre 60K mile price

So have I but unless something has changed I thought the Ts & Cs state they can change the price to reflect the mileage upon transfer to the new owner?

AlexGTT
09-01-2014, 02:58 PM
To be honest, the concept of paying warranty @£2k+ a year on a 10+ year old, 60k + mile car is ludicrous.

Chris-CSL
09-01-2014, 06:14 PM
2K? that's a bit extreme! BMW's own warranty for whack and no excess is less than 1500 PY

Mine is if I remember correctly is just over 1k with £100 excess

No Idea what company is quoting that but I doubt they are going to be better in looking after you in cover than BMW Mond

_Nathan_
09-01-2014, 06:34 PM
http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160302&postcount=6

shimmy
09-01-2014, 07:07 PM
So have I but unless something has changed I thought the Ts & Cs state they can change the price to reflect the mileage upon transfer to the new owner?

If they allow you to continue a precious owners monthly policy then you can get away with continuing the cover t e previous price. THey don't seem to change the cost if you do it straight away even if they can (presuming they think better to keep a customer than loose one.)

0836whimper
09-01-2014, 09:30 PM
But I don't think they can do that.
If a warranty is taken out on a car for a year, it is covered no matter who owns it. But stopping paying a monthly policy means a new owner starting a new one, requiring a new application on the mileage condition terms at the time it's taken out. That's why a 59k car is the perfect mileage.

Maybe things have changed over time though.

Chris-CSL
09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
I stand corrected :) I should read more carefully next time

Even then for the first year at least I would have it as the parts still cost a bomb and also I am no mechanic and I would still have that nice safe feeling.

Price of 2 sets of Tyres and a pair of Brake pads :wink:

EVLXGE
16-06-2014, 12:41 PM
A question aimed at the owners who pay monthly...

Maybe a daft question however this is the first year ive used the pay monthly option (previous years just paid the 12 up front) Do you get a renewal reminder in the post once the 12 months are up, that you have to go online and renew.

or does it just roll over each year without you having to do anything?

Mines up end of june. Thanks folks

73CSL
16-06-2014, 02:21 PM
I pay monthly & it is just that , a continueous monthly payment .. just make sure you don't change bank accounts & then miss a payment as I gather you'll then need to renew the policy at whatever the current mileage is at ( important because if you started the policy pre 60K miles you're on a cheaper fixed monthly payment than if you take out a new policy on a car with 60K +

Chris-CSL
16-06-2014, 02:32 PM
As above 100%

EVLXGE
16-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks gents. Thought so just wanted to check. Started the monthly on 52k miles ish so ill just let it run over.

shimmy
16-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Pay monthly does not renew each year but continues until cancelled. Hence why price doesn't rise after 60k miles. But you are limited on policy claims to the value you paid for the car when you bought it.

Thank BMW for warranty :)

billyboysm3
18-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks gents. Thought so just wanted to check. Started the monthly on 52k miles ish so ill just let it run over.

Did you always have warranty or did you buy the car without? As even on first year Direct debit the premium is higher, if you call them on month 11 they will kindly reduce the amount as long as your under 60k miles, which looks like you are.

EVLXGE
23-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Did you always have warranty or did you buy the car without? As even on first year Direct debit the premium is higher, if you call them on month 11 they will kindly reduce the amount as long as your under 60k miles, which looks like you are.

Its had a warranty since new (Never lapsed) Ive owned it 4 years, for the first 3 years I paid up front only the last 12 months its been on DD.