PDA

View Full Version : SG For Sale - Southend-on-Sea

Rick H
15-12-2013, 11:38 PM
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/bmw/m3/used-bmw-m3-m3-csl-2dr-smg-auto-southend-on-sea-fpa-201312150540950?logcode=p

04 plate - but doesn't have headlamp washers: is there any significance in that?

sp2c
16-12-2013, 07:18 AM
I'm no expert & new to the forum & the world of CSL, but the lack of headlamp washers would suggest that Xenon front headlamps were not an original factory option, as far as I'm aware the two options come together as package & looking at the sales photos this appears to be confirmed

MCSL
16-12-2013, 07:20 AM
might not have xenon's

Looks a clean car though, although appreciate pictures and seeing in the flesh are two different things though :)

eta - you can see it doesn't have xenon's in one of the pics

Bounce
16-12-2013, 07:47 AM
You have to have headlamp washers with Xenon lights or it won't pass the MOT

Rick H
16-12-2013, 08:00 AM

I googled that and it looks to be a requirement of the Irish testing body - and possibly a mistake in wording. The UK VOSA regs seem to say if present, washers/self-levellers should be working whereas the Irish reg state they "must" be present.

Neil M
16-12-2013, 10:25 AM
If that car belongs to who I think it does, it will be a mint example!
Right sort of Mileage, FBMWSH, I can't see it having more than 2 poss 3 owners.:thumbs:
Despite not having Xenon lights (although the add says it does) Squirters and PDC fitted - it's just the price! :( top heavy, this side of 30 would see it sold!

mentalnerve
16-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Does anybody have any further info regarding history of this car. look very smart although 'tis a tad top heavy on the money. the SB one at munich legends went for £33ish and thats got 10k less mileage

Equinox
16-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Headlamp washers where fitted, need to be operational. ie aftermarket hid's will pass an mot without headlamp washers

Das Chin
16-12-2013, 12:25 PM
looks like a good car and well looked after. should sell for 32-33k no?

typically you find that if the car does not have xenons it will not have PDC too.

some folks avoided the PDC as like the cleaner lines of the rear bumper.

some were saying the xenon lights are heavier too.....:whistle:

steelyork
16-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I Onwed CL04CSL for two years sold it with 17k miles, (working abroad lack of use) it had the same head lights which are definitely Not Xenons & to be fair theyre crap at best, the front slam panel on a genuine OE Xenon supplied car has Warning stickers on the slam panel telling you High Voltage.

Oh and the dealer i bought the car of assured me it had Xenons until i turned up to actualy pay for the car.

On a slightly different subject does any one know where CL04CSL is nowadays ? it was a decent car but full re paint & in areas wasn't great, last i heard it sold in London.

Mark

Neil M
16-12-2013, 01:22 PM
On a slightly different subject does any one know where CL04CSL is nowadays ? it was a decent car but full re paint & in areas wasn't great, last i heard it sold in London.

Mark

Hi Mark,
As you know 'Tommy R' sold it to 'Hexagon' who then sold it on with a nice price hike, a few of the Hexagon cars have gone overseas so, as for where it is now, your guess is as good as mine! :whistle:

benfj180
16-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I personally could not live with a car without xenon headlights now........but there are alternatives......

I have had experience with fitting Philips extreme bulbs which do make a considerable difference.

looks like a good car and well looked after. should sell for 32-33k no?

typically you find that if the car does not have xenons it will not have PDC too.

some folks avoided the PDC as like the cleaner lines of the rear bumper.

some were saying the xenon lights are heavier too.....:whistle:

glendog74
16-12-2013, 02:49 PM
'tis a tad top heavy on the money.

I agree; mint or otherwise.

I paid £32k for mine back in '08 when my car was 4 years old & had 36k miles on it - more miles than others I viewed but the car condition was immaculate.

Das Chin
16-12-2013, 03:24 PM
buy it. don't drive it at night and in the rain. simples ;-)

Bounce
16-12-2013, 08:43 PM
PDC and Xenons are Gay.:finga::-D

mentalnerve
16-12-2013, 09:01 PM

ye but what happens when the mrs sends you out to get a loaf of bread on sunday evening for the kids packed lunches..... and you get lost! and it gets dark and starts raining and you dont get back until 11pm :whistle: :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

seriously that happened to me once, went out for a quick blast, got lost, didnt get back for ages, missed dinner as well!

cslsuperfan
16-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Bingo!

I've had both versions....candle power and xenons
lots of snobbery surrounding xenons

das chin makes a fair point......historically though non xenon csl's(especially trade sales) have sold for less than xenon'd csl's.

Like i said there's a lot of snootiness in xenon heaven

Das Chin
16-12-2013, 09:34 PM
ye but what happens when the mrs sends you out to get a loaf of bread on sunday evening for the kids packed lunches..... and you get lost! and it gets dark and starts raining and you dont get back until 11pm :whistle: :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

seriously that happened to me once, went out for a quick blast, got lost, didnt get back for ages, missed dinner as well!

buy more bread and freeze it dude, simples.

or do it in the morning?

mattCSLnut
16-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Bingo!

I've had both versions....candle power and xenons
lots of snobbery surrounding xenons

das chin makes a fair point......historically though non xenon csl's(especially trade sales) have sold for less than xenon'd csl's.

Like i said there's a lot of snootiness in xenon heaven
Makes no difference at all if Cecil is your other motor, weekend play thing, etc. :smt055 and you have a daily smoker to beat about in.
Having said that, if Cecil was your only car then Xenons could be quite desirable I suppose :)

ac427
16-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Makes no difference at all if Cecil is your other motor, weekend play thing, etc. :smt055 and you have a daily smoker to beat about in.
Having said that, if Cecil was your only car then Xenons could be quite desirable I suppose :)

Has anyone ever retro fitted the xenons ?

Nice pic Matt and a good place to park in your sig.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/ac289/BMW/Euro%20Tour/IMG_8943.jpg

mattCSLnut
16-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Has anyone ever retro fitted the xenons ?

Nice pic Matt and a good place to park in your sig.

THANX very much :thumbs: IIRC a few Cecils on here had Xenons retro fitted, both OEM & DEPOs.

73CSL
17-12-2013, 10:41 AM
I prefer the non-xenon look , cleaner & the headlights just look more old school purposeful

Driving at night though , and they are shite :whistle:

shane@mbtech
17-12-2013, 03:10 PM
I've retrofitted Xenons to my Csl.

I just bought the depo projector lights with the hid kit. Cheap as chips and did the job. Great light output.

I think it costs about £400 in total. In fact I still have my non xenon lights in the garage at home.

mentalnerve
17-12-2013, 07:43 PM
If that car belongs to who I think it does, it will be a mint example!
Right sort of Mileage, FBMWSH, I can't see it having more than 2 poss 3 owners.:thumbs:
Despite not having Xenon lights (although the add says it does) Squirters and PDC fitted - it's just the price! :( top heavy, this side of 30 would see it sold!

you might be thinking of the wrong car or if its the same one, boy has it changed hands like pass the parcel. 8 owners!!

mr sagman
17-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Most CSL's have had 6+ owners, Some had 4 owners in the first 3 years With dealers registering them etc, Sometimes a private plate can add an extra owner also, my car is showing 8 owners but DVLA records have shown it to be 4 actual different owners.. Buy on condition.

Steve B
18-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Most CSL's have had 6+ owners, Some had 4 owners in the first 3 years With dealers registering them etc, Sometimes a private plate can add an extra owner also, my car is showing 8 owners but DVLA records have shown it to be 4 actual different owners.. Buy on condition.

Mines had 7 + me, type of car that people buy it and tick it off the wish list and move onto the next...

0836whimper
18-12-2013, 06:45 PM
I prefer the non-xenon look , cleaner & the headlights just look more old school purposeful

Driving at night though , and they are shite :whistle:

Definitely. I've got PDC (don't want to hit anything) but no xenons/washers.

As I haven't got any it's better because they are heavy and unnecessary on a second car used mainly in summer (plus I put upgraded bulbs in).

If I had them I would say they are better for driving at night for a minimal weight gain...

I imagine retro-fit LED's will be available soon ?

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130915/OEM06/309169996/#

cslsuperfan
18-12-2013, 11:03 PM

The owners thing is such bullshit.......Every owner in a csl's life invariably cherishes the car inorder to preserve his/her investment and minimise residuals

0836whimper
19-12-2013, 08:49 AM
The owners thing is such bullshit.......Every owner in a csl's life invariably cherishes the car inorder to preserve his/her investment and minimise residuals

Quite. I don't care how many owners as long as it is clear they looked after it. A stack of receipts and a warranty print-out is fine.

As you say it's a CSL, not an Astra....

shimmy
19-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Mine has only had 3 owners........I think low ownership numbers is key to a good value CSL :119:

Neil M
19-12-2013, 09:21 AM
[/color] The owners thing is such bullshit.......Every owner in a csl's life invariably cherishes the car in order to preserve his/her investment and minimise residuals

'maximise' CSL's with Low miles and Low owners, are the most sought after.
'Comparable' cars with similar mileage and FBMWSH would indicate, that a car with low owners car can add a premium of £1/£1.5K to the asking price. Just an observation!:thumbs:

shimmy
19-12-2013, 09:22 AM
'maximise' CSL's with Low miles and Low owners, are the most sought after.
'Comparable' cars with similar mileage and FBMWSH would indicate, that a car with low owners car can add a premium of £1/£1.5K to the asking price. Just an observation!:thumbs:

Does Nick agree with you?

mentalnerve
19-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Mine has only had 3 owners........I think low ownership numbers is key to a good value CSL :119:

:smt023

Neil M
19-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Does Nick agree with you?

Which Nick? Don't believe everything you read! :hahaha: Hexagon obviously do :whistle:

rstoughy
19-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Mine has fancy lights without the washers.

I actually prefer the light you get from decent halogen bulbs if I'm honest.
I find that the beam from xenon lights stops all of a sudden whereas halogen continues on but fades.

I'd not worry at all which type the CSL had. I didn't buy it because of the options :wink:

Straightsix
19-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Any 2 CSLs with exact same spec and same mileage and same service history the one with lower owners WILL be more desireable. Doesn't matter whether CSL or 318i

The examples with low mileage, low owners, standard, original paint, FBMWSH, excellent condition plenty of invoices etc etc are the ones that collectors will ultimately want for CSLs and are the examples of any model which are the most sought after (and can hence command the higher prices)

E30M3SE
19-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Any 2 CSLs with exact same spec and same mileage and same service history the one with lower owners WILL be more desireable. Doesn't matter whether CSL or 318i

The examples with low mileage, low owners, standard, original paint, FBMWSH, excellent condition plenty of invoices etc etc are the ones that collectors will ultimately want for CSLs and are the examples of any model which are the most sought after (and can hence command the higher prices)

Yep.

Pip1968
20-12-2013, 10:34 AM
The number of owners does not bother me at all. Unless the figure is silly ie very high therefore denoting very short term ownership. I think mine was on four in 2007.

This just reminds me of the whole air conditioning scenario - "nobody will buy it if it does not have A/c.....blah blah". If it is in good nick and with a finite supply you cannot afford to be too choosy.

There may of course be a small adjustment in price but if it is the last one left...........

Pip

mr sagman
20-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Agreed that these tend to be high ownership cars, Same with Porsche GT3's, They tend to be a box that petrolheads need to tick, then 12-18 months down the line they want to tick another box, On the plus side higher owner cars are generally over serviced compared to low mileage cars, as a lot of owners typically take their pride and joy to their local indy and tell them to do whatever needs doing, Then the next owner does the same 12-18 months later, Not always the case but this is my experience having owned a couple of M3's / TVR's over the years.

CraigMillwardCroft
20-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Agreed that these tend to be high ownership cars, Same with Porsche GT3's, They tend to be a box that petrolheads need to tick, then 12-18 months down the line they want to tick another box, On the plus side higher owner cars are generally over serviced compared to low mileage cars, as a lot of owners typically take their pride and joy to their local indy and tell them to do whatever needs doing, Then the next owner does the same 12-18 months later, Not always the case but this is my experience having owned a couple of M3's / TVR's over the years.

Don't TVR's need a service or repair every time used :whistle:

Steve B
20-12-2013, 08:00 PM
The only option that was a "must have" for me was AC, wouldn't have mattered how good a car was without it I'd not have bought it.... Due to the fact it's a car that is mainly used in the warmer months.

Steve

LeinsCSL
20-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Why don't you have the windows down in the warmer months? ;)

shane@mbtech
21-12-2013, 01:14 AM
I drove to the ring and spa in mine in steaming hot weather, no AC, no issue.

Pip1968
21-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I have air conditioning but hardly ever use it and when I do usually only because apparently if you do not it can go kaput. Not essential more a luxury that everyone expects.

Pip

Equinox
21-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Bit strange is that ive had the CSL for over 18 months and not used the headlamp washers yet !! I dread to think what the water in the pipes will be like now, that said i think the headlamps are great.

Neil M
21-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I drove to the ring and spa in mine in steaming hot weather, no AC, no issue.

Bet you had the sunroof open :hahaha: think I'm kidding? option code: S401A

shimmy
21-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Bet you had the sunroof open :hahaha:

Bet he was well sweaty :smokin:

shane@mbtech
21-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Bet he was well sweaty :smokin:

Only time I got a sweat on was when we were at spa. And if you remember I was having to work those yoko a048 to keep on your tail.

That was a very hot day too.

Steve B
22-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Slap wrist for me then wanting AC..... :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

If we were all the same the world would be a boring place lol

Steve

Equinox
22-12-2013, 09:02 PM

Yep very boring.

shane@mbtech
22-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Slap wrist for me then wanting AC..... :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Steve

I love AC, but it's a luxury and if my CSL was daily driven I think I would only buy an AC equipped car.

mattCSLnut
22-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Why don't you have the windows down in the warmer months? ;)

:hahaha: That's so Old Skool... but it works ;)

LeinsCSL
22-12-2013, 11:57 PM
:hahaha: That's so Old Skool... but it works ;)

And a woolly hat when it's cold! All about the noise Matt ;)

Pip1968
23-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Bit strange is that ive had the CSL for over 18 months and not used the headlamp washers yet !! I dread to think what the water in the pipes will be like now, that said i think the headlamps are great.

Is that supposed to be a sarky pop at my post about not using the air conditioning (albeit a poor one :wink: ). Is it not a fact that not using the a/c corrodes the pipe or a such like -???

A/c is much overrated for the UK at least. Southern Europe may be but England - ? Anyway it adds 'unnecessary' weight.

Pip :smokin:

mattCSLnut
23-12-2013, 03:49 PM
And a woolly hat when it's cold! All about the noise Matt ;)
AMEN to that CSL brother :beer:

Equinox
23-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Is that supposed to be a sarky pop at my post about not using the air conditioning (albeit a poor one :wink: ). Is it not a fact that not using the a/c corrodes the pipe or a such like -???

A/c is much overrated for the UK at least. Southern Europe may be but England - ? Anyway it adds 'unnecessary' weight.

Pip :smokin:

No it was a totally honest comment, I think (normally just after ive washed the car) about using them to clean them out. tbh i'd e best to disconnect them so water isnt turning to think smelly stuff with the texture of semen.

ac427
29-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Does the car in the ad not have AC then ?