PDA

View Full Version : Queenie for Sale

Neil M
25-03-2013, 12:01 PM
NJ has a former 'Garage Queen' for sale down at the farm price £40,000
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e46-m3-00-06/bmw-m3-csl-9300-miles-2003-53/1201224

JezP
25-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Low miler bargain for someone NJ should add 3K to the price ;)

benfj180
25-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Low miler bargain for someone NJ should add 3K to the price ;)

Bit too rich for me......

Im still looking!

Bet its mint like? or should be.........

portlandgrey
25-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I wonder what the service history is like.
Some of the low milers seem to have had a "not used, not serviced" attitude to maintainence.

shimmy
25-03-2013, 01:18 PM
For once I think Nick has underpriced that one.

Olive
25-03-2013, 08:35 PM
For the same mileage in France the car would have been much more expensive. We are seeing here (in France) an increasing of CSL prices since several months. Same for you ?

deanobeano
25-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I wonder what the service history is like.
Some of the low milers seem to have had a "not used, not serviced" attitude to maintainence.

I'd guess running in at the correct mileage and now an Insp 2 prior to sale?

Would make for old oil, but if it's not been run...?

Wonder what the seals and such like would be like AC included.

NBTBRV8
25-03-2013, 08:48 PM
9,300 too many miles. Ours has 1300 from memory. I should start a thread, who has the most "original" i.e. unused CSL. I imagine there'd be a few squirrelled away.

chrisburns
25-03-2013, 11:08 PM
The real ones are the ones they wont tell you about.

I know of one never registered or PDI'd still with all the plastic film attached.

NBTBRV8
26-03-2013, 08:47 AM

I know of one never registered or PDI'd still with all the plastic film attached.

Magic :smt060

AlexGTT
26-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Magic :smt060

Crazy more like! There's no way I could just sit and look at a car like that. It's built for one thing.

chrisburns
26-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Crazy more like! There's no way I could just sit and look at a car like that. It's built for one thing.

I couldn't agree more, thats why the same guy has another one with 10k AP's & intrax which he does use.

DuncanR
26-03-2013, 03:49 PM
I couldn't agree more, thats why the same guy has another one with 10k AP's & intrax which he does use.Bet its that mad bugger Wallachie !

chrisburns
26-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Bet its that mad bugger Wallachie !

No Dunc this guy has a collection of nice stuff, nice bloke too who has done awfully well for himself.

73CSL
26-03-2013, 04:28 PM
interesting investment .. so , what do you think he'll have paid and what's it worth currently

Jon8710
26-03-2013, 08:44 PM
look at the youtube vid he has posted going around the car

for that kind of milage it looks a bit rough to me,

scratches in the cf door panels, peppered with stone chips and scraches over the rear seats

avarege at best !

Das Chin
26-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I agree Jon. at 9k miles that car should be immaculate.

maybe its had 8k miles on track with those stones chips and marks on the inside.

cslsuperfan
26-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Sold

shimmy was right

underpriced:finga:

Neil M
28-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Hexagon sold 'TommyR's' old stead for £40K with 20 on the clock, some time ago, similarly NJ sold one priced at £42.5K with 5.5 on the clock.
It looks as though NJ didn't take into account the rise in prices, he just slotted it in for convenience and turnover.
The recent upsurge in prices would suggest to me an asking price of £43/45 as the 'sage' foretold :notworthy: As regards condition is over to 'Jay' to work his magic before the new owner takes delivery:thumbs:

steelyork
28-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Agree prices are going up & in some cases not for the best cars.

CL04CSl used to be mine for two years & sold to tommy, for 40K i'd want all the options, it had no pdc or xenons, & i no it had a fair amount of paint on it non original too that let it down.

If i go back into one it'l have more miles & be used a lot more, but at present i'm enjoying another German brand.

Cheers

Mark

Das Chin
28-03-2013, 03:53 PM
know new owner and he is very happy.

delivered today by NJ at lunch.

supposed to be a very nice car

E46CSL
28-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Just out of interest, what is a good alternative at £40k?

Good to drive, looks good, low volume.

To me the Cayman R is a contender. And the 6GT3. And the NSX. And others?

73CSL
28-03-2013, 04:16 PM
if you are talking about 'fun' cars that you won't lose a packet on ( ignoring running costs ) , then a 996 GT3 is the obvious one .. otherwise you're looking at classics , but they probably appeal as a different kind of purchase / buyer

A Cayman R IMHO has still a long way to drop value wise

Rick H
28-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Prob been asked a few times before - but this is where I'm at. It's a tricky one - £50k+ for the F10, £30k for the E60 or CSL. Anyone had both? :)

E46CSL
28-03-2013, 04:29 PM
if you are talking about 'fun' cars that you won't lose a packet on ( ignoring running costs ) , then a 996 GT3 is the obvious one .. otherwise you're looking at classics , but they probably appeal as a different kind of purchase / buyer

A Cayman R IMHO has still a long way to drop value wise

I was think practical classics - cars you drive 5k miles per annum, track occasionally. 6GT3 appeals.

Cayman R probably has a floor at about £28k - a bit like the CSL - both cars were about £60k new.

73CSL
28-03-2013, 04:37 PM
don't think the caymanR is different enough from the cayman to be able to say for sure where it's going to have a base price ..

unlike the CSL which was / still is classed as BMW at its' best ;) and is a true classic ....... when it comes to Porsches that honour goes to the 911's still , and if we're talking moderns , specifically to the GT3's. Porsche enthusiasts money wil go into aircooled cars , GT3's / GT2's , followed by turbos ( although I think they've got a bit of dropping to go yet )
Will be interesting to see where the caymanR finally gets positioned .. maybe somewhere similar to the 968 CS ( £10K - £20K ) . The spyder will be interesting to watch too

Personally, I've bought cars I like & enjoy driving as in reality cars are not investments .. we only tell our wives they are ;) :-D

chrisburns
28-03-2013, 05:19 PM

996 GT3 would really need to be an RS and forget it at 40k. Their ship has already sailed IMO and buying a cheap car will cost a fortune to put right. NSX is a safe bet but again those at the lower price scale will be well used examples.
Personally I don't see the attraction in the cayman R but that is just me, they do seem to be nice cars.

Prob been asked a few times before - but this is where I'm at. It's a tricky one - £50k+ for the F10, £30k for the E60 or CSL. Anyone had both? :)

I've had an E60 M5 for a few years and have to admit to giving the F10 serious thought. In the end my head thankfully ruled it out as the money they shed is simply outrageous. Great car and I would dearly love one but cant afford to take a bath again, which I did with the E60 M5.

CSL & E60 M5 really are massively different so you really need to decide what it is you want Rick. If considering an E60 it would need to be LCI 07> give a very good spec and sub 40K. It would also without any question have to have a full BMW warranty with zero access as trust me you will be using it.

Rick H
28-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks Chris, especially for the warranty warning! much appreciated. I think the problem is i want my cake and more. Mrs & young Miss Rick aren't going to take too kindly to being S6'd down to Norfolk for a quiet week watching me catch sod all on the Broads (especially when my driving ability is sub-S1!) but . . . and it's a big but - I've had a go of an E92 M3 and it was . . . dare i say it . . . dull rather than visceral and I fear that whilst the M5 is more family-friendly i'd be searching for the thrill instead of CSL total immersion (i haven't yet taken the wheel of a CSL so this is perception). One for me to ponder I guess. Thanks again!

chrisburns
28-03-2013, 06:02 PM
No problem at all. I had an E92 M3 as well so just when you mention it i can offer my input there as well.
Best way to describe one is a fantastic car thats does everything very well but nothing exceptionally well.
My M3 never once let me down, not even a bulb and the chap I sold it to a few years ago has also had no problems so they really are very reliable.

In contrast my M5 which I bought almost new spent as much time at the dealership getting warranty work as it did in my drive. However that car really got under my skin in a big way. It was actually the best car I have ever owned and excelled in comfort plus had some serious punch to keep things interesting.

You mention your family there and I think taking that into consideration the M5 may well be a better car to suit your needs. The CSL would become a little tiring after a while if trying to be used as a family car.

LeinsCSL
28-03-2013, 06:33 PM
£40k and I'd be thinking about 996 GT2s. But my heart really wants a 964RS and they're still a way off

Rick H
28-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks again Chris, it seems the E60 suffers from a reputation for fragility - I know TG said they had issues when they tested it and a search of the web confirms all is not well. Perhaps that's why they can be had fairly cheaply - a 75,000 mile 05 just went on eBay for sub-£12k and it looked mint.

Its one of those wife/mistress decisions!

A good CSL will hold its value and shift if it's too hard to live with (or just plain scares the bejesus out of us), the M5 could hang around a bit longer and drop in value - and its hard to imagine it will reach classic status.

Aaaaaaaaaagh!

cslsuperfan
28-03-2013, 09:20 PM
The CSL would become a little tiring after a while if trying to be used as a family car.

i think not.

chrisburns
28-03-2013, 09:22 PM
i think not.

I think so :-D

E46CSL
28-03-2013, 09:22 PM

+ 1, unless you are a CSL superfan :)

shimmy
28-03-2013, 09:31 PM
As an everyday car I was fine with the CSL.....but my family would not stand it daily.

cslsuperfan
28-03-2013, 09:50 PM

OK then:-D

portlandgrey
28-03-2013, 11:40 PM
i think not.

A year ago, I'd have agreed with you, but having ruptured my L4&5 discs before Christmas, I'm now having a change of mind.

The shitty state of the roads not helping either.

I may have to get something comfy for daily use, the new disco 4 sdv6 is pretty impressive as a fishing/ shopping/family wagon.

CraigMillwardCroft
29-03-2013, 08:49 AM
£40k and I'd be thinking about 996 GT2s. But my heart really wants a 964RS and they're still a way off
What are they fetching nowaday always wanted one, but when I finally drove one on track very quick and handled very well but very dated inside.

MCSL
29-03-2013, 09:54 AM

I had an M5 F10 on order (6+35 x £515+vat) - absolute cracking deal, but cancelled it due to worried about keeping it for 3 years! The longest i've kept a car for is approx 9mths!!

Cayman R is good, but already had a Spyder, and tbh i think the Spyder is a better, and more exclusive (looks good) car. A £25k Cayman S would entertain as much as the R for most

997.1 GT3 starting at £50k (OPC + 2year Porsche warranty worth every penny) is a good alternative (good to drive)

I like the option of rear seats, so if i hadn't of bought the CSl i was looking at either a 2011 GTR, a 1-series-M, or possibly another C63

£40k is a difficult price bracket - i'd have to take a bit more on the never-never and go GT3 i think...

LeinsCSL
29-03-2013, 12:49 PM
What are they fetching nowaday always wanted one, but when I finally drove one on track very quick and handled very well but very dated inside.

£45K still seems to get you into an average mileage one: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt2-996

A lot more than a 996TT, but the GT2s seem to have stopped dropping in value over the last couple of years

Kingfai
05-04-2013, 01:21 AM
How can I get in touch with the low mileage csl owner?

chrisburns
05-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Probably best to call Nick and ask him if he could help.

www.nickjohnsonmotorco.co.uk (http://www.nickjohnsonmotorco.co.uk/)